Introduction to Big Data
- Big Data is a term that describes the large volume of data of both structured and unstructured that includes a business on a day-to-day basis.
- But it’s not the amount of data that’s important, but what the organisations do with this huge data and it matters a lot.
- Big data can be analysed for the insights it provides that apparently leads to better decisions and strategic business moves by the decision-makers in the organisations.
- The term ‘big data’ refers to data that is large, fast or complex that it’s difficult or impossible to process using traditional methods and requires specialised techniques and skills to decipher the huge data.
- The B.Tech/BE Computer Science Engineering (Big Data) is a 4-years undergraduate degree that is divided into 8 semesters.
- The B. Tech/BE Computer Science Engineering (Big Data) course is one of the trending and popular courses offered in top engineering colleges of Bangalore.
- The course imparts the training to the students with regard to existing and evolving techniques and theories related to Big Data.
- The course gives a detailed understanding of Statistics, Data Mining, Data Warehousing, Data Visualisation and many more.
- The course is oriented towards the development of knowledge related to programming languages of Hadoop and many other related big data languages among the students.
The students with relevant qualifications can join B.Tech/BE Computer Science Engineering (DevOps) courses by two modes. The first one is merit based admission and the second one is under NRI/Management quota.
Career & Scope
- Big data is influencing the IT industry like the other few technologies or trends that have done in the past.
- The massive information caches help the companies improve their decision-making and can enable them to compete on another level.
- Big data has the potential to change the way governments, organisations, and academic institutions conduct business and make discoveries and it's likely to change how everyone lives their day-to-day lives.
- Big data is shaping our very lives in a number of ways by helping the organisations to extract better businesses, from the obtained data that is interpreted by the big data analysts.
- The interested students can join M.Tech/ME or MS courses in Big Data for better understanding of the technicalities of the subject.
Some of the job roles are
Data Engineer: Roles and Responsibilities
- The data engineer acts as a link between data scientists and business executives in the organisation.
- The data engineers are responsible for communicating data scientists about business goals, so that they can work accordingly to achieve the objectives within the specified deadlines.
- The data engineers also handle a vast amount of raw data and evaluate new data sources.
- The date engineers are responsible to develop, construct, test and maintain architectures
- The data engineers are required to align architecture with business requirements and also perform data acquisition
- The data engineers are required to develop data set processes using the programming language and tools
- The data engineers are required to Identify ways to improve data reliability, efficiency and quality by conducting research for industry and business questions
- The data engineers are responsible to deploy sophisticated analytics programs, machine learning and statistical methods
Average Salary: About 4 lakhs to 6 lakhs per annum.
Data Analyst: Roles and Responsibilities
- The data analysts are problem solvers who analyse data systems, create automated systems to retrieve information from the database and compile reports based on the interpreted data in the organisation.
- The data analysts are required to design and maintain data systems and databases
- The data analysts are responsible to mine data from primary and secondary sources and reorganise the obtained data into human or computer readable format.
- The data analysts are required to use statistical tools to interpret data sets and perform predictive analysis
- The data analysts are responsible to collaborate with programmers, engineers, and organisational leaders and recommend system modifications, and develop policies for data governance.
Average Salary: About 5 lakhs to 7 lakhs per annum
Data Scientist: Roles and Responsibilities
- The data scientists are responsible to analyse the raw data which can be structured and unstructured to derive information which is used by business leaders to take important decisions impacting business growth.
- The data scientists are responsible to acquire data from different sources
- The data scientists are responsible to process and clean the integrated data and store in proper channels
- The data scientists are required to perform the Initial data investigation and exploratory data analysis
- The data scientists are required to choose one or more potential models and algorithms and interpret the data
- The data scientists are expected to apply data science techniques, such as machine learning, statistical modelling, and artificial intelligence
Average Salary: About 4 lakhs to 6 lakhs per annum
Data Architect: Roles and Responsibilities
- The data architects are members of a big data team who understand all the aspects of database designs of the organisation.
- The data architects are required to collaborate with big data engineers to create data workflow and are responsible for designing and testing new database prototypes for the organisation.
- The data architects are responsible to develop and implement an overall organizational data strategy that is in line with business processes.
- The data architects are required to do strategies to include data model designs, database development standards, implementation and management of data warehouses and data analytics systems.
- The data architects are responsible to Identify the data sources, and work out a plan for data management that is aligned with organizational data strategy.
- The data architects are expected to coordinate and collaborate with cross-functional teams, stakeholders, and vendors for the smooth functioning of the enterprise data system.
- The data architects are responsible to manage end-to-end data architecture, from selecting the platform, designing the technical architecture, and developing the application to finally testing and implementing the proposed solution.
- The data architects are required to plan and execute the big data solutions using technologies such as Hadoop.
- The data architects are responsible to define and manage the flow of data and dissemination of information within the organization.
- The data architects are responsible to Integrate the technical functionality, ensuring data accessibility, accuracy, and security.
- The data architects are responsible to conduct a continuous audit of data management system performance, refine whenever required, and report immediately any breach or loopholes to the stakeholders.
Average Salary: About 4 lakhs to 6 lakhs per annum
Top Organisations hiring B.Tech Computer Science Engineering (Big Data)
Some of the organisations hiring B.Tech Computer Science Engineering (Big Data) students are:
The demand for B.Tech/BE Computer Science Engineering (Big Data) has increased drastically in the last 5 years. The increase in mobile penetration among the individual’s, has resulted in generation of huge amounts of data. This has created a huge demand for skilled Big data engineers.